Thursday, November 1, 2007

October 31 - The Problem with Raisins

We had a wonderful Halloween. Tyler was a dragon (or dinosaur) he didn't care what people thought he was and Mia was a pink leopard because that was the warmest costume I could find. This was the second time Tyler was a dragon but I showed him a catalog of costumes and told him he could be anything he wanted and he chose the Dora the Explorer costume. I asked him what his second choice was and it was unequivocally a dragon.
This was the first year Tyler really got into the whole trick or treating thing. . Mike was marveling that this is already his 3rd Halloween. The first Halloween we were living in AZ and I had strep. It was just too hot to take him out dressed in a dragon costume and I felt too sick anyway. The second Halloween we were here in IL and we kept wondering why Tyler, dressed as a scarecrow this time, was so lackluster about trick or treating, when we got him home that night he had a 103 fever. Finally, this Halloween, everyone was healthy. We started the afternoon trick or treating at Safety Town and then met Mike at home to go around our neighborhood. All the houses in our neighborhood have big lots so we drove around in the car (while most of the kids in our neighborhood drove around in golf carts. Things have really changed since I was a kid) and Tyler would jump out of the car run up to the door and say "trick or treat" and then proceed to walk right into the house. We are going to have to work on stranger danger. Mike and I had a very proud parenting moment because Tyler very consistently said "thank you" at every house. However this is the same child that will look at me and say " I am sorry Mommy" and continue to do whatever it is he is not supposed to be doing but I will take what I can get...
And for the Tyler moment of the day. I was cleaning up the dishes from lunch and Tyler was sitting at the table munching on raisins and watching Go Diego Go when I noticed that it looked like he was smelling the raisins. This is how the conversation went:
"Tyler, what are you doing? You aren't putting raisins up your nose, are you?"
"Yes mommy.
"We don't put raisins in our noses.Tyler, did you put a raisin up your nose?"
"Mommy, my nose hurts."
"TYLER, DID YOU REALLY PUT A RAISIN UP YOUR NOSE. Oh Tyler.."
Now at this point I am trying to look up his nose and I don't see anything so I think he probably didn't actually put anything up his nose.
"Tyler, blow through your nose really hard."
And, out fly two raisins... They went really far and Tyler just thought it was the funniest thing ever. And now you know why I was the only mother hoping my son didn't get raisins for Halloween. Bring on the candy bars...












This picture is not great quality but this perfectly captures Tyler's excitement. It was so fun for me and Mike to see him so excited.

1 comment:

Heather Plis said...

wow...that is a real story! thank goodness it didn't end with a trip to the ER for raisin retrieval! That last picture is so cute. He really resembles Matthew in that picture!