Saturday, December 13, 2008

Purse of Hope


I have started doing some work for a non-profit organization called Purse of Hope. When I finish their website I will post the link. They are dedicated to rescue young girls of forced prostitution and rehabilitating them. This necklace was given to me by the founder, my friend Kristen. She got this necklace in Uganda from the woman that is making beads for purses Kristen sells. This woman is HIV positive and lost her husband in the ongoing civil war. She contracted HIV after being raped by 4 soldiers. She has 4 children and when Kristen asked her how much she needed to get by each month including the HIV medication that she can sporadically get. The answer was $28 a month. Blows your mind, huh? Anyway, the necklace is just beautiful and there is a definite opportunity to make a serious impact. I told Mike last night, "Oh I hope God doesn't ask me to go to Uganda now." I have to pray about what he wants my involvement to be and of course I have two small children who come first always but there is definitely a reason this has come into my life and I am excited to see where it leads.

No comments: