Sunday, May 25, 2008

May 24

Ty's First Stitches

When Mia goes down for her nap and it's nice outside, Ty and I go outside and work in the yard. Well today, while I was weeding, Tyler tipped the wheelbarrow over and it landed on his thumb. At first, when he started crying, I thought it fell on his foot and I immediately ran over and held him and then I said, "Ok, tell me what hurts." and he said, "I need a bandaid for my thumb." I look down and all I can say it's amazing that I didn't pass out. His nail was hanging off and there was blood everywhere, so much blood that I had no idea how bad it was. As I was trying not to panic, I told him, " Ok, Tyler don't touch it just hold it out here." I was frantically calling Mike who was getting his tire changed and said, "What should I do?! I think his thumb is broken, there is blood everywhere." There was no way I could wait for him so I called my neighbor who ran over and we decided he needed to go to the emergency room so thankfully she stayed with Mia and we went to the ER. By this point, Tyler isn't even crying but I wrapped a towel around his hand and put ice on it, gave him a lollipop and drove to the ER about 10 minutes away. We met Mike there in the parking lot and the first thing Tyler says to Mike, "Sorry Daddy, I knocked your wheelbarrow over." The entire time we were at the ER, Tyler so stoic that he must have been in shock. They were cleaning out his wound and both Mike and I are close to passing out and Tyler is just sitting there watching them work on his thumb. It wasn't broken but they had to temporarily stitch his nail back on until a new one starts to grow. The only time he cried was when they gave him the three shots of lidocaine. It is not broken but he had to keep it wrapped up and we have to keep cleaning it but he doesn't seem to be in any pain which is remarkable because it looks awful and has to be throbbing. Mike took him to McDonalds on the way home and he was very concerned that he wasn't going to be able to go to Carly's birthday party later in the day but of course he did get to go. He could have asked us for just about anything and we would have said yes..

No comments: